Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm Baaaaaaccckkk!

Jesus said, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much friut; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15: 5)
You may believe that you can do alot of things and do them all well. I have found that I can't. I can't be the woman God wants me to be unless I spend time with Him. As I spend time with Him I learn what He expects of me. He expects me to put Him first, my husband next, my children after that. If I'm going to be the best disciple I can be, the best wife I can be and the best mother I can be, then something has to go. Probably more than one thing would have to go for many of you, if you were to really look at things.
Unlike many women I talk to, I truly enjoy taking care of my husband, my children, my home. I used to believe I had to put a fancy name to what I do, in order to be acceptable to others. The term " family unit engineer" is one I have used, thinking I was being funny, but also because so many of the women I know have "real" jobs and I felt I needed a more appropriate title.
Over the last two months I have learned alot (though I have much more to learn) and now I'm back to try and be an encouragement to anyone who might stumble upon my little slice of cyberspace.
One of the things I learned is that since I am not ashamed to be called a housewife or stay-at-home-mom, I don't need a fancy title! I have the best job in the world! I get to spend all my time loving and taking care of the family God gave me. I also learned that you can't properly do that job and blog everyday, so I'll be blogging a couple of times a week rather than everyday.
Something else I learned is that you can't remain in Christ and not be changed! I read scriptures to my daughter and realize that I'm not living up to what He expects of me. He says that apart from Him I can do nothing! So, I either remain in Him and change my ways, or I'm apart from Him and I can't do anything. The house and everyone in it falls apart when I'm not abiding in Him. Sometimes I think I can hide from the Holy Spirit, or make excuses for sin--have you ever tried to hide or make excuses when your child wants to know why you do what you do? My effort to teach my daughters to be the best disciples they can be has had unexpected effects on me.
I have doubted my ability to be a good mother. God has shown me that it's not so much about me being a good mother, but being a mother is making me a better disciple. When I abide in Him I can see that and the focus is then off myself and back on Him, where it should always be.
Don't let anyone or anything take you away from Jesus--you can no nothing without Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment