Thursday, November 5, 2009

Eyes That See

Many parents are proud of their children's success and have something tangible to show for it; a ribbon, a plaque, a trophy, certificate, some physical proof of the success.
I may never have a trophy of any sort to show off, but if she never wins any kind of award it doesn't matter to me, because my oldest has something more valuable. She has eyes that see God. I only pray my eyes would see as hers do.
Many weeks ago I began looking for a pair of shoes for myself. I went online and found the pair I wanted, but couldn't bring myself to buy them without trying them on first. A couple weeks later I had the chance to try them on, but didn't have the money to buy them. The next time I got online I found them, knew the size, but just couldn't buy them.....Last week my mom came for our weekly "meeting of the heirs" and handed me a bag and asked if I wanted what was in it. I looked inside and guess what I saw? Almost the exact shoes I had been "not" buying! She wore them once and they didn't fit well and they were mine if I wanted them.
When I told my 7 year old about it she responded with "I see God in that!" I have to say I was more excited over her view of the situation than I was over the shoes. Because they were from my mom, I didn't readily give God all the glory for filling my need--mom's know theses things, right? If the shoes had come from a stranger, I would have been jumping up and down in disbelief and awe of the way God takes care of us.
I thank God that I have a little girl who has learned to watch for and recognize the way our Heavenly Father works. She may never have a trophy that shows that, but I have a very nice, comfortable pair of shoes that will remind me for a long time that she sees Him. They will also remind me to jump up and down in disbelief and awe, no matter who the blessing comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment