Monday, November 2, 2009

A Little Sleep

I long to be one of those people that rise early in the morning and settle in with their bible and have quality time with God. I make all sorts of excuses why I can't. I will say that I have tried to do it, but I will also say that I haven't tried very hard, or for very long.
This past week I have heard God asking me to try it again. I've seen it in my devotions, I've seen it in His Word, I've heard Him whispering "come on, you can do it, do it for Me."
I fight against His wooing. I like snuggling up in the flannel sheets, listening to the peace around me. I thought I could pray while I lay cozy in my bed, but I end up falling asleep! I've made excuses for too long. His Word warns us about loving sleep and what happens to those who love it. Proverbs 6:10-11 says that sleep leads to poverty. I believe that doesn't just mean financially, but spiritually also.
When you put something above or before The Almighty One, isn't that thing considered an idol? Remember what we're to do with idols? Throw it away like an old menstrual cloth! If I equate sleeping too much with that, I bet I can get out of bed tomorrow morning!! Not to mention the scripture that reminds us that we can do all things through Christ.
Well, here I am again trying to do something in my own strength when I should be relying on the strength of Christ. His Word is LOADED with help for us, if we would just be quick to go to Him, instead of making excuses or trying to do it for ourselves.
If it is His desire to meet with me in the early hours, He will give me the desire and strength to do it. Last night a little friend of mine came walking briskly toward me with a huge smile on his face and his arms wide open inviting me to pick him up and accept the love he wanted to give me....what if I looked forward to my early mornings with my Lord like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment