Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Following Jesus

We just spent a few days with some friends. The kids had playmates close to the same age, moms had playmates of the same mindset and husband who usually can't stand extra noise and confusion in the house was happy as could be. Really, even though there were 5 kids in a house that usually only has 2, there wasn't what I would consider confusion. There was laughter and love and hugs. When there were squabbles over sharing a mommy would step in and guide proper behavior. There was no yelling by the adults at the children to go away, or to be quiet. For a few wonderful days we were a family with the same Father in need of some encouragement and reminding that we are not alone in this life God has called us to.
I'm purposing to smile more, be more vocally thankful for all the He is and does. These last few days had me smiling almost constantly and I am so thankful for the beautiful ways I see Him. I am so thankful that He has given me a friend that knows what things are truly important in this life. I thank God that He has given us both the strength and desire to go against the tide of this society and put our families and His Kingdom as the priorities that He designed them to be. I thank Him for showing me that there are children being raised with love and compassion and consideration, being taught to be respectful, loving, thoughtful. For showing me I'm not alone in my desire to raise my girls, and live life for His Kingdom, above all else.
People say there are many ways to live this life we are given and I agree, but they don't lead to the same place. I've seen women with thousands of dollars worth of wardrobe, hundreds of dollars in makeup, hours of career with children in daycare or at babysitter, living in multi-bedroom, media-room game-room filled homes, children attending best-that-money-can-buy schools, hair never out of place (or grey),maybe they even attend a mega-church in their Sunday best clothes......but I have also seen a woman choose a life that most women would be horrified by, a life that has none of the glory of the things I just mentioned--at least none of the worldly glory. She has chosen to follow Jesus in ways most people wouldn't dream of. While many women are sipping down half-calf-choca-mocha-skim-holdthecream-latte-whatever on their way to where ever they drop their kids on their way to their career that gives their life meaning......I know at least one woman who has chosen to spend time on her knees....
I often wonder what it would have been like to watch Jesus wash his disciples' feet. I think I saw a glimpse of it when I watched my friend washing out her baby's diaper, on her knees, in the toilet. Now that's following the heart of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment