Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Statement, A Test

My husband and I were talking recently about things that are important to us. I mean physical items that we have a connection to. I used to get so excited when I got something new, but within a matter of days (sometimes minutes), something bad would happen to it--ripped, stained, scratched, cracked--you name it! I couldn't keep anything nice.
There was a time when I had some real attachments to a few things, I couldn't imagine being without them. I have alot of pieces of furniture that have passed through the family, my dishes were my Grandmother's, I have a collection of pottery (that is no longer made) that a few loved ones have given me over the years. Basically, most of my stuff comes with a history, a story of who had it and how I got it. There was a time when it all meant too much to me.
When I started to notice that everything I got (and I'm not kidding--EVERYthing) ended up not so new within a short amount of time, I decided God was trying to show me something.
So, when hubby and I were talking about our "stuff", I told him that God had been working on me and that I wasn't truly attached to any physical item in our home. Sure, I really care about the things I have, but if I had to give something away or if something happened to any of it--I'd be okay.
Enter 3 year old. God really is funny, if you didn't already know that! Within minutes of that statement to my husband, my 3yo walked in and picked up a special jar that hubby gave me one Christmas filled with my favorite candy. There went the lid, down to the floor--all over the floor. The jar is still in tact, just no lid. He's funny, right? Was that a test to see if I meant what I said?
Enter 7 year old. Yep, I'm not kidding! She likes to fill her own plate for dinner now that she's a big girl. Tonight she's headed back to the table with mommy's pottery collection plate in her hand when somehow it flew right out of her hand, down to the floor--all over the floor! That beautiful plate that can't be replaced.
Unbelievable, right? Never make a statement unless you are ready to be tested! It's not so much that God wants to see if you mean it, He already knows our hearts. He wants us to make sure we know we mean it.
My little girl burst into tears when she saw the pieces of that plate, because she knows how much mommy likes it. Now she knows that mommy loves HER so much more than any silly plate. And I know that I really did mean it when I said I wasn't too attached to any of the "stuff" that I have. Thank you Lord, for showing me a little of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment