Friday, October 2, 2009

Bring Him Back

The more educating I do, the less educated I feel.
Have you ever felt that way? The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know?
We've been doing a unit study on Christopher Columbus this week. I've learned so much about him, his life, geography, history.....I can't believe how much I didn't know! I also can't believe what I wasn't taught when I was a child in public school--one of the reasons Columbus wanted to discover new lands was to spread the Gospel! Did you know that? Did you know that in addition to the spanish flag, whenever he landed in a new land he stuck a cross in the ground?
I find it interesting to be a Jesus loving parent raising children to be Jesus lovers, when I wasn't raised this way. I feel like a pilgrim in the wilderness sometimes, without an example to follow. I pray for wisdom and discernment to handle alot of the situations that come up. I don't have the example of my parents to follow, none of my friends were in Jesus loving families--that I knew of. I attended public school. I didn't know Jesus when I was growing up.
I long for a mentor, a woman who has traveled this road. I feel like there is so much I don't know because Christ was removed from my education. I'm learning, along with my girls, the role Christ played in everything that has ever happened. It's frustrating, and sometimes I feel more than a little cheated, that I spent so much of my life without Jesus.
Genesis 1:1 says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Without God, there would be nothing. How dare we remove Him from our lives and education?
It breaks my heart, so I can only imagine what it does to God, that He has been left out of (even removed from) the world. We have to put Him back where He belongs. Put Him back in your children's education. Be a mentor to pilgrims raising children for Christ, who weren't raised that way themselves. People have told me they could never homeschool. The longer we do it, I wonder how you could not. Your children have to know the truth of Christ's involvement in so much of our history, not to mention the whole creation/evolution issue. Will you bring Him back?

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty sure that I am learning much more than my children are!

    My big whoa! learning topic last year was about Lewis and Clark. I have a degree in history and never new more than the short 3 sentence paragraph about them in a dull textbook.

    ReplyDelete