Thursday, October 22, 2009

Whose Rules?

Here's a great scripture to memorize and hang up in a place that you spend a lot of time: "And when the people complained, it displeased the Lord" (Numbers 11:1)
I have to admit I was throwing this scripture in my daughter's face today. And then, as usual, the Lord threw it in my face!
I have a certain 24 hours every month that I turn into.....a less than pleasant person to be around. God has blessed me with the wisdom to recognize what is happening, and while I can't seem to "control" it, I make sure it doesn't control me. It used to be more than 24 hours, but one day my daring, brave husband came up to me and told me my 24 hours was up. (Isn't he lucky I believe in boldly speaking the truth?!) Since then, my family knows that when I give the warning that mommy is a little unreasonable, the countdown starts. It's almost funny now. In fact it's become such a joke that it really takes the edge off and the 24 hours is actually down to about 12!
So, while I was using this scripture on my daughter, God was using it on His daughter.
I didn't start memorizing scripture until about a year ago. (deliberately and regularly, that is.) It you've never done it, I will tell you, it is one of the most important things you could do. What a difference it has made in my life. While I was wallowing in my hours of misery, that my husband and I decided I was allowed to have, God told me "...it displeased Him". Uh-oh. Now I'm getting a new verse in my head and it's popping up to tell me my behavior isn't pleasing my Lord. Guess my allowable hours are going to shrink even more!
Thank you God, for loving me enough to show me the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment