Thursday, October 8, 2009

Don't Forget Who Else Is Here!

Did you ever hear something that really hit home with you, something you thought you already knew? That happened to me today.
We started off the day as usual; chores, breakfast, prayer, devotions, singing, school.
The day went pretty well. I got a little frustrated a couple times. Youngest daughter didn't always behave the best way she knows how. Oldest daughter didn't always show respect and do her best. But, no one "lost it". We've had better days, we've had worse days. I was trying to bring out the best in all of us. I felt like we should be behaving better than we were. I couldn't understand why we weren't more peace-filled and joyful.
When we took a break I decided to check out a new website I found that deals with character building. Then I read one of the blogs that I read regularly, then I ended up on a blog I had never visited before. This is where God reached out and smacked me. Did you ever get a 2x4 upside your head? I got one today!
The post was about remembering to include God in your day. Duh, right? He's already with us, isn't He? I talk to Him all day, everyday. What I realized as I read this is, that as much as I love Him and devote my whole being to Him, I was forgetting that He is right here with me. I was taking responsibility for everyone's behavior, attitudes and words instead of giving it all to God. The woman who wrote the post talks about having a chair set aside for God at the table while they do schoolwork. Her daughter climbs up on His lap. (isn't that a fabulous visual?)
After I read her whole post I was so excited! I know He is always with me, but to think of Him as another person in the room, around the table.....wow. Why and when did I stop doing that in the first place? How did I end up thinking I could somehow control how we all act? That's not my job.
Tomorrow morning, before our chores, breakfast, prayer, devotions, singing, school, I will be doing the most important thing---inviting God to spend the day with us. And we will remember that He is right here in the room with us. I bet things will be different! I'll let you know! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment