Monday, August 3, 2009

"Forget About It"

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, " (Phillipians 3:12-13)
Did you catch that? Forgetting what is behind.
I am far from perfect. I don't claim to be even close. That's why I cling to God's word. I'm not alone in this and His word is a constant reminder to me that He is with me. That is worth remembering.
Paul tells us to forget what is behind. Our success in being more Christ-like is dependent on forgetting the garbage that is behind, or in the past. If what you are thinking about and remembering is not helping in your growth toward Christ, then forget it! It's that simple. Train yourself (and your children) to just "let it go". If your thoughts are not causing growth, they are from satan. Remember the Bible says to take every thought captive and make it obedient to the word of Christ. If you do this, your growth in Christ will skyrocket!
When I start thinking about what someone said to me, the way they said it, the look they gave, etc. I grab that thought right away. I compare it with what God says in His word, and go from there. Maybe I'll find I'm being dramatic, maybe there is truth in it, but as long as I take the thought captive and make it obedient to Christ's word then I can forget what's behind and strain toward what is ahead!
Afterall, it's not about me. It's about the Creator of all things and fulfilling His purpose. The only way I can do that is if I know what He expects and be obedient to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment