Thursday, August 27, 2009

Who Guides Your Steps?

It's hard to break old habits. I wasn't raised with a biblical worldview, so I spend alot of time asking God to help me break some old habits. Recently I've been reading Psalm 119, and there are many verses that I love. I'm drawn to the scriptures--they take the place of sinful thoughts.
Verse 133 says "Guide my steps by your word, so I will not be overcome by evil."
Today I didn't spend much time in His word, and it was very obvious to me and my family that my steps were not guided by His word. This is one mistake that I can guarantee I won't make again. How can God guide our steps by His word if we don't read it?
Overcome by evil? That sounds so dramatic. I was a little mean and paid too much attention to the email, and was a little jealous of my parents, and a little nasty about a neighbor, I wouldn't call any of it "evil".
BUT, when God calls to me and leads me to His word, He shows me that I WAS overcome by evil today. I made an idol of the email, I coveted the path my parents are on, I spoke words that tear down instead of edify. These things are evil. Maybe not to the world, but to God and anyone who loves Him, they are evil.
Old habits die hard, but if you stay in the scriptures and let God guide your steps, pretty soon the old habit is gone and the Holy Spirit shines through. I thank God that He is merciful. I thank Jesus that His blood covers even the ugly sins from this afternoon. I thank the Holy Spirit for living in me and fighting for my soul.
Lord, please guide my steps by your word, so I will not be overcome by evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment