Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Psalm 20:7

Today mom and the girls and I went grocery shopping. Exciting, I know!! The exciting moment came on the way home while waiting at a red light. A semi-truck was heading straight toward us and turned at the last minute. Of course we weren't worried about it hitting us, this happens all day long at this particular intersection. I do have to say that there's always a brief second where I hold my breath and wait for the impact--sometimes it's that close! Especially if you get carried away and pull up too far!
As I was staring at the headlights bearing down on me, my attention was pulled just a little further over toward the fender. I read the words Psalm 20:7. Oh good, maybe he's praying, like I am, that he doesn't smash me!! He obviously knows God if he has scripture plastered on his truck. (At least that's what I prayed!)
Once we were on the road again, we were intrigued. None of us knew off the top of our heads what the verse said. Both mom and I carry bibles in our purses, but don't ya know, we didn't have access to them at the moment. Never fear! This girl, who has a bible in every room in the house, also has one in the car.
Psalm 20 :7 says--Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. We went on to read the rest of Psalm 20. "May the Lord answer you when you are in distress;may the name of the God of Jacob protect you."(verse 1)
Now, we weren't ever really in any danger (I don't think!) but what an awesome chapter! I know a lot of people that are struggling with a lot of different issues right now. Read Psalm 20. Read it again. I'll be reading it and praying for all of these people. You can do the same. Sometimes it is the most powerful thing we can do-pray. Don't underestimate the impact you can make with this simply sacred act. And if you say you're going to pray for someone, DO it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment