Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Come, Sit Awhile

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." (Proverbs 16:24)
I can see proof of that in my 7yo daughter's little face when I say something kind to her. She glows, she's pleased, all is right with her world.
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." (Proverbs 15:1)
Just as I can see in her face what pleasant words do, I can see what harsh words do. She's ashamed, hurt, all is not right with her world. And when I see it in her face, I feel it in my heart. I long to be kind, gentle, patient, compassionate, peaceful. I beg God to help me be these things.
Before I know it, I'm trying so hard that I act the opposite! That's when God takes me aside and gently reminds me that I can't do it, only He can.
It's not long before I think about some of the people I know who have lost children. Oh, how my heart aches for them. I have babies I will only hold in heaven, but none that I've held on earth and then lost. I beat myself up for not being the most loving mom at all times, because some people would do anything to have their children back. How dare I be so annoyed with mine?!
That's when God takes me aside again and reminds me that these scriptures include how I talk to myself. Can you believe He doesn't get annoyed with me? He IS patience. He IS gentleness. He IS kindness. He IS compassion. He IS peace.
So I sit awhile with Him. I call to my girls and encourage them to also sit awhile with our Savior as He once again fills us with His love.
And then we pray. I thank God I have these precious girls. I pray day and night for the ones who have lost their precious children, their siblings. I thank God that, though I don't know from experience how they feel, He has gifted me with an empathetic heart. I use it to pour out intercessory prayer for them.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."
All may not be right with the world, but all is right with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment