Monday, September 14, 2009

Through Clenched Teeth

I've talked about the importance of prayer, talking to the Savior, talking to God. I've discovered something interesting as I go through our days of homeschooling--if I'm praying through clenced teeth two things are happening. 1. I'm sinning. More than likely the initial problem was disobedience, or some other sin, on the part of the girls, but it doesn't matter what they did, as much as how I respond to it. 2. Even if I'm doing it through clenced teeth, at least I'm praying!
I may start out with the completely wrong attitude, but if I go directly to the One who can help me, the teeth gradually loosen, as does my heart.
Have you ever done it? Someone "wrongs you" and you pray (through clenched teeth) something like "Lord, please help me not rip his head off!" And God laughs and tells you He'll kindly not rip your own head off because of your lousy attitude. At this point, hopefully, you realize that regardless of what the other person has done, it's your reaction and heart attitude that is the real issue.
My stepdad said recently that he was proud of me, and how much I'd grown. I laughed and told about how I had behaved earlier that evening--hadn't grown that much!!
But God showed me that even though I still blow it in some ugly ways, I keep coming to him, clenched teeth or not, for wisdom. I'm reaching out to others to hold me accountable. I recognize my sins, hate them, and desire to be more Christ-like.
The clenced teeth become a softened heart that I can use to address the issue that started the whole thing. After I've dealt with my own sin, I'm better able to deal with the girls' sins. Then our day can progress and we can get about our business of loving the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment