Thursday, September 3, 2009

Do You Really Want To Know?

We started school this week. My 7yo has been asking about Labor Day, so I looked it up online and found a very good, basic unit study to spend a day on. We read the story, answered some questions, had some discussion, drew some pictures, and when we were all finished I asked her what she learned about Labor Day. "Uh, (blank stare turning into deer in the headlights stare)...umm....I don't know?" I asked "If Grandma asked you what Labor Day is about, what would you tell her?" Shrugged shoulders.
She had been asking about Labor Day everyday for a week, so I thought she really wanted to know.
It makes me think of when I started praying more of you (God), less of me. Did I really want more of Him? Or did it just sound like the spiritual thing to do?
The carnal side of me was not pleased. There were a few television shows that I thought I probably shouldn't watch, but made excuses and watched them anyway. Guess what? When I started asking for more of Him---that's what I got. I no longer watch those shows because God wouldn't watch them and He owns more of me than I do. He changed my mind and heart so that those shows were no longer appealing.
Do you really want to know about Christ, or are you just playing church? If you really want to know him, pray things like "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10) Or "more of You, less of me", etc.
Don't ask if you don't really want to know! If you ask, he will change your heart and mind and you will grow closer to Him. You won't be content with going along with the crowd anymore.
As for my girl, after a recap of the lesson she was able to give an explanation of Labor Day with a big smile on her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment