Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Truth or Snare

2 Timothy 3 talks about Godlessness. Paul tells us "People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God--having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them."
I am guilty, at times, of more than one of those. I pray for God to show me when I have sinned, and to help me be more Christ-minded. My one true desire is to please God. Over the last several months I have prayed for boldness--can you tell how He answered that prayer? I have discovered a few things happen when you are bold--people don't like it, and sometimes I feel like I've done something wrong. When this happens, I search my heart, go to God in prayer, and search the scriptures. Sometimes He shows me how I could have been more loving, but one thing is certain--people have to know the truth. I am not afraid to share it.
The things Paul talked about in verse 2 are going on in everyone's lives, but if we are tuned into the Holy Spirit, search for the truth, and desire to be more Christ-minded, He will give us wisdom to avoid the things that draw us away from Him.
Paul goes on to say "They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth."(verse 6-7)
So, people who are lovers of everything except God, are taking advantage of busy, tired, overburdened women who are easily influenced and looking for something to make them feel better. Sounds like alot of the advertising on T.V. and in magazines and online, doesn't it? Paul is warning us to "have nothing to do with them".
If you were pulling out of your driveway and your passenger saw a car coming, you'd want her/him to tell you, right? I think it's the same with the Truth. If someone sees something you don't, they are obligated to tell you. We all have to answer to God one day--for what we've said, and for what we've done with what we've heard. Everyone has to answer to God, believer and non-believer!

No comments:

Post a Comment