Sunday, September 27, 2009

Does Kleenex equal love?

I remember my first sleepover at a friend's house when I was about 9 years old. Her house was a few miles from our house, but just acrossed the road from my Grandma's house.
I had alot of fun all day long. Her dad was a fun, goofy guy. She had a little brother that either left us alone or was a good sport about being picked on. She lived in the country and while she didn't have any animals, they had a really cool dunebuggy, an awesome treehouse and a huge yard with woods for us to explore-and almost wreck ourselves on the dunebuggy. What great memories....
Did I mention the super-cozy big ole couch in the living room? That's where we were all set to go to bed. I really liked that couch. We had a very busy day and were tired and ready to have a good sleep.....that's when the trouble started.
Notice I haven't mentioned her mom? She had one, only she wasn't real involved with us when I was there--at least that's how I remember it. She definetly wasn't one of those cookie baking, tuck-you-in, goodnight stories and kisses kind of moms....which I was used to. Uh-oh. How do you go to bed in a strange place without some lovin' and snugglin'? I tried, then...I cried. Big crocodile tears. I asked my friend for a kleenex. Would you believe she said they didn't have any?! She woke up her mom who SENT a roll of toilet paper out with her!!! She not only didn't buy kleenex for her family, she didn't come and comfort me like any good mom would, and should!!! Who doesn't have kleenex? Isn't that a staple in every house? In our house we had a place for everything in the kitchen...toaster here, cookie jar over there, box of kleenex next to that. Always! We may not have had new sneakers all the time, but we ALWAYS had kleenex, because that's what a good mom does--makes sure there is kleenex, right?!
Okay, jump to present day...my family has the sniffles this week. No swine flu, just good old fashioned colds. GUESS WHO DOESN'T HAVE KLEENEX? Guess who's using a roll of toilet paper, instead?!
Here's what I've learned: 1. Kleenex does not equal love. 2. A certain brand of toilet paper feels and works much better than kleenex. 3. Really good moms have a way of knowing when you won't make it through the night at a friend's house and have no problem coming to pick you up. (especially if Grandma lives close by).

No comments:

Post a Comment