Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bible Thumping Jesus Freak

My brother was teasing me after reading my first post. He said it sounded like a bible thumping Jesus freak wrote it. I laughed and thanked him and remembered how I used to think that was about the worst thing you could be called.
"You do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you." (John 15:19)
This scripture has been in my mind and heart lately. It sounds so extreme--the world hates you. I don't feel hated, but I know that some people definitely don't understand some of the choices I make. Do they hate me? I don't think so. Do they feel defensive? Maybe. Do they feel convicted? I hope so.
Today was one of those days that I was thankful for the calling God has put on me. It was tough--LOTS of bickering between the girls, antagonizing, selfishness. Why was I so thankful for a day full of that? Because God has enabled me to be in a position that we (God & me) could drop everything and deal with the heart issues going on in our home.
Did we run to the playground or throw in a movie? No. Did we get busy so we were too distracted to fight? No. We went to God. We got in the scriptures. We talked about the importance of getting to the heart of the issue. Too many moms have told me lately that they have to be busy because it keeps the peace between the children. This is where I'll end up being hated---that is the easy way out! The only reasons it is normal for kids to treat each other poorly is because 1. we are sinners and it comes naturally. 2. we allow it and don't want to deal with it.
It IS hard to deal with, but there is a trick---DIE TO SELF!!!! I don't always want to drop what I am doing but in the long run it will be well worth it. The bible says to train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. The definition of train is--to make proficient with specialized instruction and practice. That means you have to put some effort into it. You have to die to self to properly train your children. They can't just fit in to your plan. The busier you are the less training you can do---for God, that is. If your answer to bad behavior and treatment of each other is to stay busy, then you are training your children to be satan's little soldiers. Kids will be trained one way or another, by someone--who do you want to have the biggest influence on your kids?
".... As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment