Thursday, July 23, 2009

Selfish or Selfless?

The book I'm reading talks about humility being the answer to many relational problems. The opposite character trait is pride. What does pride boil down to? Selfishness.
Today, as the girls are playing, there is alot of selfishness. Instead of telling them to "be nice" or "stop being mean", I'm teaching them about humility. When we show humility, we consider someone else more important than ourselves. We don't make all the decisions, we let the other person choose. We let others go before us. We don't tease in a hurtful way. I'm sure you get the idea.
People have concerns that if you don't send a child off to school, they won't learn to share. Do you think one teacher can effectively teach 20 or so small children about humility? They may learn to share, but are they developing humility as a character trait? Behavior versus heart. I could send my children to school and maybe they would learn to "act" a certain way, but God wants them to "be" a certain way. The only way that is really going to happen is if I put them before myself and teach them the ways of God. They certainly aren't going to learn that in a building that won't allow the Creator of all things inside the door!
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
I'm claiming that promise. Only when I go against what the world tells me, and I do what God tells me, will I have any chance of claiming that promise.
If parents would pray for humility their lives would change drastically and so would the lives of their children. It comes down to a choice--follow the world (selfish) or follow God (selfless)?

No comments:

Post a Comment