Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lighten Your Load

My 3yo wanted to do her own laundry today. She brought her basket of dirty clothes down and filled the washer. I looked in and hesitated for a minute. There were not many clothes in there, and being so small they didn't take up much space. My mind went to what a waste of water, soap, wear and tear on the washer--for such a small load. I decided to let her continue--she was so excited and felt so helpful. When the washer was done, I helped her transfer the load to the dryer. When the dryer stopped, the clothes were dry!
Why am I so surprised? Because normally when the dryer stops, I reach in, feel that the load is still damp, and start the dryer again. Now I know why! The load is normally too big!
Just like the laundry, God shows me He can work better on me when my load is lighter. He has led me to live (and love) a life of simplicity. How much clearer I can hear Him. How much better I can obey Him. My life is not full of the things the world thinks I should be doing. I have time and energy to read my bible. I have time and energy to help my toddler do laundry. I have time and energy to tell the story of Lazarus to my girls on the trampoline (something I definitely recommend doing!!) And God can find me and speak to me. There is not a bunch of "stuff" cluttering up my mind and taking up my time.
Here's a suggestion for lightening your load: 1. Read the story of Lazarus in John 11:1-44. 2. Find a trampoline and pile on it with your kids. 3. Have the kids lay on the trampoline while you bounce gently and tell the story. 4. When you get to the part where Jesus says "Lazarus, come out" bounce really hard so your kids end up on there feet!
Romans 8:5 says "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." My experience has been that when you look to what the Lord wants for your life, your load is lightened and everything becomes simply sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment