Thursday, July 16, 2009

Careless Words

I cringe when I hear some of the things that come out of my girls' mouths. They can be so hurtful and callous. I cringe worse when I realize that what I just heard has no doubt come out of my own mouth at some point. There's that training I was talking about. Even when we don't intentionally teach them something, we are always modeling for them.
Just when I'm letting the lies in my head--the ones that say I'm a bad mom, my husband comes along and reports on something cute he's seen. This time it's that the oldest is sitting with her baby doll in her lap, little sister beside her, reading bedtime stories. OOOh, how sweet. I stop myself from checking out the scene because I'll interrupt quality sister time. This time I'm proud of the modeling.
The bible says "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted and by your words you will be condemned." (Matthew 12:36) So, knowing what scripture says, and seeing my words in action through my girls, I pray. I have this scripture written on a note card taped to my kitchen cupboard door so that it reminds me. When I get tired or frustrated, it's right in front of my face. It reminds me that not only will my girls reap the words I sew, I will reap the words I've spoken on judgment day. Good, or bad, I will have to answer for EVERY careless word I've spoken!!! Can you imagine?! Does that make you stop and think? Your words can either acquit you, or condemn you.
A simply sacred lifestyle promotes an environment where sewing positive words reaps positive results. We are nowhere near perfect (only Jesus is) but, I have found that when the focus is on being Christ-like, the sewing is Christ-like. You will not condemn yourself if your words are Christ-like!

No comments:

Post a Comment