Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I read an article the other day about lying to your children. Turns out many "experts" actually recommend lying to them! I was a little disturbed, to say the least. I got on my soapbox to my husband and my mom about how disgusted I was with Dr.s and experts encouraging moms to lie or fib to their kids. They say especially if the truth could be hurtful to the child. Well, I spouted off plenty! Then this morning I was tested.
I woke up to find my oldest daugter's cat dead. It was a shocking sight. Immediately the article ran through my head! This is a perfect situation, in the experts opinions, to lie!! How hurtful the truth would be to her!! But if I say I don't know where Binky is, she will keep looking for him. Do you know what I did? I went to MY expert. My expert is God's word. Did you know he has the answer for EVERYthing? Even dead kittens? I began to pray, I even called grandma to pray. God really did give me the words to say. Scripture says all things work for good for those who love the Lord. I reminded my sweet girl of His words. He uses things like this as lessons for us.
We both learned lessons today. Her friend recently lost her daddy. While losing a kitty is a far cry from losing a parent, there is a love and understanding on a smaller scale. Today my little girl learned a lesson in compassion. We both learned that God is good, ALL the time.
What makes this fit into the category of simply sacred? If we would quit listening to the world and all the different experts with all their opinions and simply turn to the true source of wisdom and love---God and His word. What could be more simply sacred than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment