Friday, July 17, 2009

Your "Royal Privelege"

I have a book called His Princess, Love Letters from Your King by Sheri Rose Shepherd. I love it and highly recommend it. The letter I read today is addressed to "My powerful princess".
I've read it several times and I'm still awed when I read those words--my powerful princess. (We are princes and princesses if we've accepted Jesus Christ, King of Kings, as our personal savior.)
So, what are we to do with the power that has been given to us? "Pray at all times and on every occasion in the power of the Holy Spirit." (Ephesians 6:18) Shepherd reminds us to be watchful of opportunities to pray--something that God starting showing me when my first daughter came along. Prayer is not just for Sunday morning, before meals, or during a crisis. It's our "royal privelege" to pray without ceasing.
Today, as the girls and I were on our way to town for groceries, we followed a "wide load" for quite a distance. Someone, somewhere is getting a new home today. There was a lead car with lights and sign, truck and trailer hauling the house, & follow car with lights and sign. What does that have to do with Ephesians 6:18? Have you ever followed the scene I just described? Just a little nerve-wracking I must say! There is no room for error when making turns or going downhill with guardrails on one side and traffic on the other!! What could we do but watch the scene ahead of us? Pray! We prayed for the drivers of all the vehicles involved. We prayed for the setting of the house when it did arrive. We prayed for the family receiving their new home.
And we thanked God that He has opened our eyes to see the things we might overlook.
If we want to make the most of our words (remember we'll be held accountable for every careless word!) then we need to train ourselves and ask God to help us to "pray at all times and on every occasion in the power of the Holy Spirit". You have the power already. Are you using it?

1 comment:

  1. My dearest cousin...I've never posted a comment so you are my first. As you may know prayer is something that I had to learn. I always stressed because the "experts" stated that you should find a quiet place and be in prayer for twenty minutes a day...yeah, right, 3 girls, a dog, a husband, a job, chores around the house, blah, blah, blah. Twenty minutes right before bed usually didn't end in Amen it ended in the middle with snoring! Anyway, I have come to learn that prayer takes many forms. I love how you prayed for the people involved with moving the house. It's a powerful and beautiful thing. I realized too in reading your blog that I think I am in constant communication with God. I have never been comfortable with "Amen" because it always signified a closing or an end...I never wanted to stop talking to God. So thanks for reminding me that prayer can be anything, anywhere, anytime and for anyone. More importantly you are teaching your girls that they have the power and you are showing them how to use it!
    Tammy :-)

    ReplyDelete