Sunday, July 12, 2009

"...Do no consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)
See, I mentioned before that the Good Book has an answer for everything, didn't I? If you use the old excuse "I didn't bring any clothes to wear to church"----BALONY!!!! That's just an excuse to avoid dealing with yourself and you need to admit it. God just said He's not looking at your clothes--so guess what? We shouldn't be looking at each other's outward appearance, either. Jesus died while we were still sinners! When you're sick and dying you don't get showered and put on fancy clothes before you call the ambulance, right?
I used to use that excuse, too. That's how I know it's just an excuse to avoid dealing with the sin in your life. When I finally let God in my head AND my heart, I realized it didn't matter what the outside looked like. For one thing, scripture makes that clear. Secondly, when your eyes are on Christ and you are living for him authentically, you aren't looking around at other people and judging them. It's truly amazing how liberating it is to take your eyes off of yourself and everyone else and turn them upon the simply sacred things.
It's also amazingly frustrating when you know people that are so blind to the truth. But, He has an answer for that, too. I like Proverbs 19:21---"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." I remind myself of this constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment